You’ve being exiled to a private island, and your captors will only supply you with five foods. What do you pick?
Assuming it’s a one-off supply…
- Tomatoes – because the seeds will readily grow and produce further crops.
- A laying hen – at first appearance, as a source of meat; in reality, daily egg protein and/or an increased flock.
- Rice – edible when boiled or stir-fried, but also I could grind it to make a flour, then – given an egg, or water – I’d have the makings of simple flat breads (a la tortillas)
- Beer, a box of twelve – added to the dough above, a riser for bread, as well as a slightly more interesting beverage.
- Coconut butter – as a frying aid, a spread on bread.
And assuming I’d be allowed to forage freely among tidal zone for shell-fish, or in bush growth for berries or nuts.