Brain Power – Programming Knowledge Management

In response to The Daily Post’s writing prompt: “Brain Power.”  Assuming we use only 10% of our brain, what would I do with the remaining 90% if I could get at it?

Well obviously I’d firstly spend a week or two smacking myself for not unlocking it twelve years ago. That’s when I needed it. I was studying a Bachelor’s in Applied Information Systems, and was becoming extremely frustrated as I was already well able to code in BASIC, LOGO & Atari’s PILOT. HTML was a doddle, SQL too. Java I “managed”.

Then after year two the degree was restructured to become Bachelor of Information & Communications Technology (applied), with an increased focus on networking and hardware. The fist year’s work in these was all I wanted. I did not want to be carrying around circuit testers, anti-static screwdrivers and straps.

My aim was to work for the end-user and client on Systems Analysis, Software Development, Web Design, User Training, Quality Control, and Business Information Systems. I was so keen on S.A. I was intending to travel to London for post-grad Systems Analysis qualifications after getting the degree.

But…

Big But…

The language interface for database building was an obscure reinvention of the wheel by engineers in NZ – Jade. The lecturer was at heart his own entrepreneur – working with Jade for commercial clients as a back-stop to lecturing. Not trained to teach adults or tertiary students. Wasted six weeks failing to convince us that using Pointers was necessary and easy to master.  After we all struggled to put together the exemplar, Then the prat informed us “Well, now you know about pointers, you will be able in future to recode any program using them so the pointer system is removed while retaining its functionality. Pointers are considered a redundant coding methodology, and not used in program creation any more.”

” SAY, WHA’?”  {Group Scream}

Damage done, self esteem drained, some of us discovered a new mental block to any coding. I failed his course.

IF ONLY then I had had that extra 80% brain power, he could not have thrown me off track. I would have been able to focus, master that freaking Jade, passed, moved on to third year coding, and carried on pursuing Systems Analysis and what I wanted to do.

And maybe I would not have just had to sit and read the first sentence in the last paragraph over and over, figuring out whether it should be “had” or “had had”.

In the meantime, hard coding was wanted in the industry, not people, team, client-based soft skills. My  BICT is now a dream while writing is a fall-back.

Or is that meant to be the other way around.

—  Dammit, I want my 90%!  —  Now!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply - Korero Mai - What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s