I have so many ideas that need to be put on paper, if only to clear my head of characters and conversation. I’ve written short stories and poems for writing group contests or challenges.
But it’s full-length books I want to get into (fiction and/or practical texts). That’s why I’m here.
At last I’ve found ‘my’ genre … following the maxim “write about what you know”. For me, that’s my ikigai: teaching.
- Currently working on a memoir/nonfiction work, on Education in New Zealand, starting from my first year as a Primary pupil and going through my teaching & lecturing in 2007.
- I’ve other works “on simmer”: an accounting text-book, a pot-pourri of short stories and poems, and two partial novels to finish.
- I’m editing for Inkitt Publishing, Roane Publishing, and individual authors.
- I tutor computer applications, and remedial primary literacy.
- I’m a Crime/Thriller/Mystery book reviewer for Booksellers New Zealand
- I organised November’s NaNoWriMo events for the Bay of Plenty (Sept. to Dec., 2k12) based from Rotorua, as a NaNo Municipal Liaison for New Zealand::Elsewhere, … and I also wrote that novel’s draft
- I completed Script Frenzy with 104 pages (mutually beneficial with Writing a Screenplay, a Waiariki course tutored by Owen Bullock), April 2k12.
- Completed the Waiariki Diploma in Applied Writing (Creative) 2k12.
- Completed the Waiariki Cerificate In Creative Writing 2k11.
- In 2k11 I attempted NaNoWriMo (starting Way too late to possibly complete)
- In 2k11 I won two of three story competitions for the Rotorua Writers’ Group, and also took the annual Allison Masters Originality Award.
- In 2k11, five of my poems were published by Rotorua’s Mad Poets Society in the collection Rotorua – Spirit In Verse
- Graduated as Bachelor of Information & Communications Technology (Applied), UCOL, Palmerston North, 2005.
- Basenji Magazine (US, now defunct) sought accepted and published my article for a feature Basenjis Overseas.
- http://www.masterton.co.nz (now defunct) requested and published a Rock Concert Review (local bands: Daemon Foetal Harvest (son on rhythm guitar), Bad Hair Day and …!).
- c. 1984-5, for Huntly Press – eight months contracted to write a weekly half-page children’s feature.
- Passed with an “A” in Creative Writing, an extramural paper via Massey Uni, as well as Logic, and ..?. while tending to my first-born, 1978.
- Wrote learning material in my thirty-odd (thirty odd?) years teaching from Years 1 to 12 (ages 5 to 16), then lecturing at Masterton for UCOL at NZQA Level 4.
- Qualified with NZ’s Trained Teacher’s Certificate, Karori Teachers’ College, 2004.
- 1963, in Form II (now dubbed Year 8, aged twelve) a poem I wrote for school homework was published in a School Journal of compiled NZ children’s poems..
Well now, that’s me…now back to juggling work and life. Thanks for dropping in.